Monday, January 05, 2009

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Happy New Year, Party People!

Here's a special photo-filled blog story...please to enjoy...
My daughter has always had a life-long obsession with "The Wizard of Oz".
I guess most girls do...maybe because the protagonist, Dorothy, is a girl, maybe because it's
central theme of there being no place like home pulls at your inner child, or maybe it's the ruby slippers, who knows?
The point I'm making here is, she loves it...
She's been Dorothy for Halloween three times!
So when she turned seven in 2006, my wife and I decided to take her to see
the Broadway play, "Wicked". We had purchased the soundtrack so she knew a lot of the music already.
We kept it a surprise until the morning of her birthday and let her open the tickets when she got out of bed.
This is her reaction.



Since you guys are going to think "Wicked" is sponsoring my blog, I won't go into detail about the show itself,
but it was a magical night that exceeded expectations for all of us.




Shortly afterwards, I proceeded to try to paint a mural inspired by the play in my daughter's room.
I only wanted to use the existing paint colors that we'd already used in the room, with a hint of green.
Here's some of the preliminary drawings.




Elphaba-the name of the Wicked Witch of the West in the play- cut a very precise silhouette
in the poster I was recreating, so it took a lot of tape to get the shape just right.



Here's how the graphic over her bed turned out...The contrast of the black and the introduction of red
on the witch's lips felt out of place and later changed...




She's off to see the Wizard!



I wanted to use the second wall to do a grand scene with some of the other characters from
the original movie. (Who all make clever appearances in the play as well) I wanted to use the
artwork from the original Frank L. Baum stories, beautifully drawn by illustrator W.W. Denslow.



Here's how the graphic turned out when I removed the black and just made it tonal.



Action shots.




The Emerald City. (Based on the Map of Oz that acts as the curtain before the play begins.)



and, of course, Dorothy Gale.



Hopefully, this gives you an idea of the scope of the thing.



I've spent the last four days trying to finally finish what I'd originally started in 2007.
You ever have one of those things on your "To Do" list that you think you'll never get to?
My resolution this new year is to finish 'em all...
Her reaction to her new room made all the work worth it.




15 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Blogger Jason Quinones said...

it ALL looks GREAT so far bro!

i would not have had the patience to do all that tape work!

mucho kudos to you!

and happy new year to you and yours!

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Dude, I gotta hand it to ya - that is the absolute COOLEST! Your daughter must think she has the most rockin' dad around! Really, really nice job on all the renderings and accuracy to line weight and stroke. as for the original Wicked with the black, I kinda liked that. It was bold. But it looks good either way. Very, very cool!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Charles said...

Wow, i wish you were my Dad!!!!! Seriously - damn good job, bro! Love the layout - and the colors!!! It works better with softer tones since it's a girls' room.

Lots of luck with the new year's resolution!!

-C!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Tepas said...

you are clearly the 2nd best dad in the whole world.. 2nd only to my own of course. your painting is gorgeous. the wizard of oz is completely timeless and she will love it always. and as per your separate facebook comment.. yes. it's because of the shoes.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow you're so awesome...really!

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, GLENN!!!! WOW!!!!! THIS IS SOOOO COOL!! MCKENNA NOW KNOWS YOU'RE "THE COOLEST MOST TALENTED DAD IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD," HUH? VERY AWESOME JOB ON EVERYTHING, THE DRAWINGS, THE BRUSH WORK, THE COLORS (I AGREE WITH CHARLES, GIRL'S ROOM, GIRLIE COLORS), THE CHOICE OF ORIGINAL ILLUSTRATIONS TO DRAW FROM...VERY COOL DUDE, YOU ROCK! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE WHOLE WALL IS GONNA LOOK LIKE! GOOD LUCK, THOUGH I'M SURE YOU'LL BUST THAT OUT WITH NO PROBLEM AT ALL. GOOD JOB, DUDE!!!

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Cisco's Sketch Page said...

WOW GLENN!! YOU'RE THE COOLEST DAD EVER!! THIS IS AMAZING, McKENNA IS SO LUCKY TO HAVE SUCH A F@#$ING TALENTED FATHER LIKE YOU!! WOW! WOW!! WOW!!!

 
At 6:11 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

and PS - McKenna makes a perfect Dorothy!

 
At 5:32 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Nice! Now fix the toilet so we don't have to jiggle the handle!

It looks great Glenn.

How bad is my procrastination? I'm still working on the LIST of things I hope to do this year.

Lauren and Paul are all moved in. When are you guys comin'? There's a nice 4-bedroom right up the street. Make an offer. Seriously - you are far too talented to not be able to work from home. And then home can be anywhere. Or everywhere, I guess.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

thanks so much for the kind words guys-it's still getting praise from assorted friends and family who've come visited since it was finished. It's great to see how proud she is of her room! It's never been so clean!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Marie. said...

Aw that's really sweet of you! It looks great!

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Kharrissa said...

If I owned my house, I'd ask how much you'd charge to do that in Virginia! Absolutely beautiful!!

 
At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was wondering how you transposed it up on the wall was it a free hand draw? Im redoing my bathroom and my obsession with witches in general has been the theme in my bathroom right down to the sink handles being frogs & Lily pads.. Fanastic room for your daughter.. definately inspirational

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home