Thursday, October 30, 2008

Halloween! Halloween! Halloween! Halloween!





"In this Town-
We call Home-
Everyone Hail to the Pumpkin song." - Danny Elfman

Boo!!!! Happy Halloween!
Since I moved to the Garden State, Halloween has been the one holiday that
has made me feel like I missed out on something by growing up in New York.
Back in the day, trick or treating for me meant starting at the 21st floor of my apartment building
and working my way down to street level. Somehow, this day brought out the McGyver in kids in my neighborhood....
There were some crafty mofos on my block! They would fill tube socks with baby powder and
drop a tennis ball in it, swing it around like a mace and "Thwack!!" you with it,
leaving a nice white powdery spot on your Superman cape. Or, they'd take the cap off an aerosol can,
attach it to the top of a can of shaving cream so it would shoot out like silly string- you'd get completely hosed with it...
as a kid, I remember Halloween being a day of sweetness and dread...
Out here though, the peoples really get their trick or treat on!
The kids are all candied up on goofballs and they bum rush the houses while their lil' sisters lag behind...
it's awesome! the houses are decorated in orange lights and fake cobwebs, with the appropriately spooky skeleton...
The girl gets so geeked, that I get a bit of a rush from it
myself... plus, I get every third Nestle Crunch bar.... man, I love crunch bars!

She's feeling a lil' Wicked this year...after being Dorothy Gale from the Wizard of Oz 3 times,
she's finally going to be the Witch...but I think she'd tell you she's more Elphaba than
Margaret Hamilton.

G'night!
FrogDaddy

6 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Charles said...

Very cool, GB -- i knew you'd get used to life in the Garden State. i miss it myself at times like these!!!

Careful with all that candy tho' -- it'll mess you up
like crack!!! (You got me wondering about that 'white powder' in your story!) Anywho, tricks n' treats and all that stuff!!

-C!

 
At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!!! White powder, huh?
Dude, that's one of my favorite songs and favorite movies of all time!!! I put that on for Karina on Halloween and sang and danced with her the whole opening sequence ("this is Halloween, this is Halloween!!!) and she loved it! that is until the dialoque started and her excitement slowly petered out...oh well, I'll give her another year and she'll be into it. Awesome illo of McKenna as usual!

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Cisco's Sketch Page said...

You should open your own gallery to show only all the drawings of McKenna...they all look great. I miss those days also back in my parents neighborhood, going from floor to floor dragging that garbage bag full of candies....those were the days.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

welcome to Suburbia, dude! Nice drawing as always - There's a hint of 'I know something you don't behind those eyes.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

thanks guys!
we're still polishing off all the candy!
hurts so good!

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home