Thursday, February 14, 2008

Kissing the Frogs



"I do believe it's true
That there are roads left in both of our shoes
If the silence takes you
Then I hope it takes me too
So Green Eyes I hold you near
Cause you're the only song I want to hear
A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere." - Death Cab for Cutie (slightly paraphrased)

Happy Valentine's Day!
I told you guys I've been busy, so like Sophomore year long division,
I'll hafta show my work...
The top post is this year's Valentine's Card for my lovely wife, Michele
who, after all these years, can still make my heart beat a little faster
whenever she's in a room. You're the bees knees, baby.
I know it's eerily similar to my Mother's Day post from last year,
but this has some of my all-time favorite KennaSketches
culled from what has now been two years of this on-again/off-again
relationship I call FrogDaddy Ink. I had it printed out on this high quality
paper and she absolutely loved it.



The next pages are a family portrait of a friend I work with. She has
two really great kids and excellent taste in music. (I'm sorry
to report that this ended up being a goodbye present as she will
be resigning from the company next week) But it was something
I promised her quite awhile ago and it just stayed on my drawing table-
I was actually able to scan it in chronologically so you could see it from sketch to finish.
I told her it would be ready for Valentine's Day and made good on the promise.
She loved it. I think she's going to have it framed for her husband.
I'm starting to feel like Cupid over here...

Enjoy your hearts and flowers, lads & lasses-
FrogDaddy

11 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love it, and I did frame it and the two smaller sketches for my husband- thanks again for such a kick ass present- I am working on yours of McKenna!

-J

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Jason Quinones said...

these look great glen! you are the master of the color pencils! nice to see all those sketches in one big comp. especially like that one b/w kenna sketch above the red stamp. the family portrait looks great too. the paper you choose to draw on really complements your work.

i just got into death cab about a year or so ago. they were just one of those bands that i hated before i ever got to know them because every other guy/gal was singing their praises as the next big thing and that sorta thing just kinda tunes me out. but when i heard the song "i will follow you into the dark" i was sold on them! the line about catholic school really stuck with me,cuz i went to catholic school.

not sure if charlie brown or charles schultz said this but"happiness is a sad song."

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Nice output, Glenn.

And I love your shopping list. Way cooler than mine - I do mine on the computer with little checkboxes. And I put extra checkboxes for the things Rachel rattles off as I'm on my way out the door and for the inevitable cell phone call while I'm at the market.

So next time I'm in Maryland, we meet in Philly?

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

thanks J! I hope it was worth the wait...i know it was a looooooooong time coming!
And thank you Jason! I've always loved the pencils...
my friends in college would say- "you could do that in half the time if you painted it, but I've always felt most comfortable with a pencil in my hand...and a beer.
Deathcab is one of those bands I wanted to hate on the basis of their name alone, but they actually make
some smart music...I can see them becoming this generation's R.E.M.
Hey Eric- I've always said if you're anywhere in my time zone, I wanna know about it! The first Cheese steak's on me!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Jason Quinones said...

fyi- the neue gallery (86th and 5th ave?) has a really great gustav klimt exhibit me and kim saw this past friday. i remember you were big into egon schiele (some of his work is there too) so just thought i'd let you know. it's worth checking out.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Both these pieces are AWESOME... But I expect NONE less than that from you! Can I commission you to do a piece on Amie? I already have a pic in mind... If not, I TOTALLY understand; being a parent is a full-time job on TOP of your regular full-time job. Lemme Know. Oh, and... 'PALE BANANA' ... heh heh heh

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i want to get in touch--Its carrie coppola

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Looks like I'm late to the game, but I'll reitterate what others have said - these are great! The Kenna page is awesome - there's some terriffic drawing going on there! It's cool to see all of them together like that - wow, there's alot. I remember most of them, but some, like the top right I don't...sure 'nuff, though, there's the ice cream cone one! Great stuff, man!

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Hey Cybil- I'd love to draw lil' Amie!
I'm finishing up some other overdue things-
but if you get me a picture, I'll definitely do it!
She's a peach! Pale Banana...those were the days...I was like lil Kevin Arnold from the "Wonder Years" at SHC back then...now I'm like old and busted Mr. Hooper from Sesame St.
Hey Carrie! I wanna get in touch too!
It's been too long! I know Dayna has my work email address and so does Jesse...does that help?
Hey Justin! I remember your comments from that post, and I put the "McKenna Holding a Huge Blue Ice Cream Cone" picture in there just for you man! Although she's still just holding one of the handrails outside the Chelsea Piers...

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

I'm back for more perusing and I must say again some of these drawings are really excellent! I wish each was numbered with a chart so i could refer to my favorites!

hmm..lesse if this works...

a) the one with the hair left sorta open and outlined...on the far left top area (mouth closed)

b) the one with the winter cap and snowflakes around her head

c) middle page looking up and at the camera

d) far right graphite sketch, hair pulled back (or was it cut short?), closed mouth smile

e) looking over her shoulder blue pencil sketch (left side)

f) top left in the bathing suit - great face!

g) bottom right - that could be some 1940's Quaker Oatmeal ad! FANTASTIC hair!

 
At 10:25 PM, Blogger Cisco's Sketch Page said...

Hey Glenn,

You did a wonderful piece....your best so far. It looks great, can't wait to see Cybil's daughter.

-F

 

Post a Comment

<< Home