Thursday, January 24, 2008

Why So Serious?


The NY newspapers have been in feeding frenzy mode regarding Heath Ledger's death.
Maybe because it happened here and not out in the Viper Room in LA....
Anyways- I felt cheap dedicating an Of Montreal song to him the other day, cause it's not
my song to give...so I drew this on the newspaper article it came from on the way home
as a more personal dedication... It's Ledger in costume as "The Joker"-
from the Batman movie coming out this summer...the previews for it look like
he really nailed the role...I was boldly predicting that he would trump Jack Nicholson's over-the-top, "This town needs an enema!" performance in Tim Burton's Batman movie...
and the funny thing is, I've only seen one movie he's ever been in and that was that 70's skateboarder movie
"The Lords of Dogtown", but fuck if he didn't nail that role!
He had some crazy method actor vibe going on in that movie that elevated the
entire film...
just watch the last two minutes of it while he's waxing the surfboard and singing "Maggie May"...
he impressed the shit out of me...
I was really looking forward to seeing what else he could do...

R.I.P. Heath

7 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger Jason Quinones said...

nice likeness and tribute piece!

really digging that you did it on the newspaper article! the joker would love it!

and lords of dogtown is a great movie!

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

thank you Jason! I like the type behind the face as
well...wish I had a better pen though...I'm glad someone agrees with me about that dogtown flick
i just realized another fine young actor, Emile Hirsch is in that as well, and he is now starting to get some serious recognition for his role in "Into the Wild"...
which I haven't seen either...i gotta get out more...

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

now I've gotta put Lords Of Dogtown on my Netflix queue...I remember when it came out, though. I'm really liking the piece..I knew it was Heath as the Joker soon as I loaded the page..then realized - ah! yeh, on a newspaper article. Cool. But sad. I like that last line in the article about us being mortal and films immortal. Well, to a degree until this earth is gone one day...maybe we'll have moved off this rock by then!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Jason Quinones said...

mitch hedberg had a small role in lords of dogtown as well! he was a cool stand up comic who also died too soon. i think it was an o.d. but i'm not certain.

and "ugly betty" star america ferrera shows a bit of boobage!

the documentary "dogtown and z-boys" is also a great flick.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Charles said...

Wow, didn't think you'd do a tribute, G-- pretty sweet!! Lovin' the text as a background. Lords Of Dogtown was indeed a cool flick. They don't make enough of those any more.

BTW, that fine young actor, Emile Hirsch is starring in.... SPEED RACER!!! That'll get him even MORE recognition, huh?

-C!

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Fresh ground pepper?

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Comment of the Year... well, so far at least....
Brilliant!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home