Monday, March 19, 2007

The Pipes, The Pipes Are Callin'....

"Escape is on your mind again-
Escape...to a faraway land.
Sometimes it seems there is no end-
to long, hard nights of drinkin'..."- Crowded House

Back so soon? I wanted to throw a post up before St. Patrick's
but spent the weekend with family and never got around to it.
Don't regret it though, because I got to spend an excellent Sunday
with my four brothers and their wives (a rarity these days, unfortunately...)
my folks (ditto), and my sister Kathleen, who I adore. We had
a St. Patty's brunch in Greenpoint, Brooklyn complete with corned beef,
cabbage & potatoes (an Irish delicacy).
Once upon a time, when we still lived in Chelsea- my entire family
would come in from every borough on St. Patty's day and we'd
totally celebrate the day-and not as a reason to get shit-faced, either.
My mom would dye any T-shirt we had green, we'd dance to the Dubliners,
and watch "The Quiet Man"...Sunday brought back a lot of those memories...



Here's a new KennaSketch- it's been awhile- I forgot how much I missed drawing her...
she came to my job on Friday when her school closed due to a freak blizzard...
I asked her to show my designers the "Hard Knock Life" skit she performed at her school talent show and, holy crap! she busted out singing and dancing right there!
I didn't have to twist her arm or anything!
The department behind ours got up to watch the commotion and pretty soon she had a crowd!
They burst into applause when she was done and the artist behind me says-
"There's no shy in her!"
Where does she get her balls?
I could've never summoned the nerve to do something like that at seven years old!
God Bless!

9 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such joy in this sketch, we miss you and Kenna, at KHQ!

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SURE THANK HOMIE I MISS YOU TONS
IT WAS GOOD SEEING YOU...ON THURSDAY....NICE STORY...DID YOU GUYS GET THE PICS I SENT??

RORO(AKA COCHINA):P

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Rebecca- you woulda been so proud of her dance! Thanks! Hey RoRo! I didn't get the pictures, but I'll check my email at work tomorrow..hope you included the spaced out acid trip pictures....why did David fix that?
I thought it was a cool feature! Every shot looked like a laser light show!
Miss you girls somethin awful!...

 
At 1:43 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I am going to swear. I fucking love Crowded House. Saw them at the Greek back in the college days. They used to release an album every time I broke up with somebody...ok, when somebody broke up with me, but anyway, it was always perfect - just perfect pain and release stuff. Forget all of those hip new things - I'm going back to my Crowded House CDs (which aren't even on my iPod yet) and that's what I'm going to listen to for the next six months.

Great sketch, Reverend. And great Kenna story. I sure hope she can hold on to that outgoing personality and not get self conscious - but I'm telling you, man - teenagers.

And nice St. Pat's memories. You know I'm 1/4 Irish, right? Gramma Sullivan and all. Anyway - The Moms (who's not actually Irish, but married my pops who's half) still puts on the annual dinner, same thing, Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots. I loved mashing my potatoes and carrots together and squirting French's mustard from the little round plastic bottle all over my plate. Also, somehow my Dad got it in his head that George Killian's Irish Red was some sort of authentic Irish beer and he would let me have one at 16 or 17 or so. I remember one year in particular where it fell on a Thursday and I got to have a second beer while we watched Hill Street Blues. I miss that. All of it.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

I saw Crowded House the day Kurt Cobain died...it was such a freakish thing because I'd never seen em live, and was so excited building up to the show, and then to have that news body-slam my buzz...they were a top ten band for me, fershure...oh P.S.- a then unknown Sheryl Crow opened for them- quite a double-bill!!
How did corned beef become an Irish staple?
And Eric- Let's be careful out there...

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Lou said...

great drawing buddy!

why do you have such a hard-on for David Wright?..is it because Dora..i mean Arod...is even GAYER by wanting to be rammed in the rear by Jeter the Jizza so bad...he wants the fans to decide if he should stay or go, and suck off Lou Pinella like a fat chick sucking on a deep dish pizza.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Jason Quinones said...

how did corned beef become an irish staple? well...it's more of irish-american thing. when the irish started coming to the u.s. they moved into the neighborhoods that were predominately jewish,jewish butchers were kosher so they didn't sell pork. so the irish took to the corned beef. that's what my wife,the lovely kim mcgattan,told me as i was scarfing down free corned beef sandwiches in our local pub. sounds like you had a great st. patty's day there glen. and your stories about your kid make me wanna cry like a little girl with a skinned knee, i'm such a softee. oh yeah I GOT MARRIED ! did it vegas style!!

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Jason Quinones said...

mcgrattan! i can't believe i spelled that wrong!!!!
SORRY HONEY !!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

the Sports Illustrated Baseball Preview dropped this week, Lou, and in it they predicted both the Mets and Yankees will make the postseason (again) but David Wright's costly error will cost them a chance to get to the World Series...it seems David was out late the night before the big game and couldn't bend over to field a ground ball...whatta shame....great A-Rod story though...now there's an opt-out of your contract!
Hey Jason! Congrats on your Wedding man!
A nice Irish lass-and she knows her history too!
Oh shit...you got her last name wrong? Welcome to the Honeymoon Couch Crawl, my friend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home