Thursday, December 28, 2006

All Is Quiet On New Year's Day


"Under a blood red sky-
A crowd has gathered-black and white.
Arms entwined-the chosen few?
The newpapers say it's true, it's true-
That we can break through-
Torn in two-we can be one.
I....I will begin again."- U2


I'm gonna squeak in one under the wire and end '06
on the positive. A designer I work with commissioned me
to sketch a picture of her and her little brother. She
wanted it as a Christmas gift for her mother and first
mentioned this to me over the summer-she even gave me the
picture she wanted me to draw as far back as October- thus giving
me ample time to get it to her before X-Mas.
So of course I start drawing two weeks ago.
Whenever my back's to the wall to get something done under a deadline,
I always cue my ipod to play Billy Joel's "Pressure" on endless repeat and
don't stop drawing till it's finished or my head explodes from oversynthsposure.
Now Natalie (the designer) also happens to be a friend- She's one of those rare
birds who can hang out with the girls and talk about Commando Britney
in US Weekly and then turn around and rap to the guys about college football.
You can't say a bad thing about her-she's as cool as November.
And with that comes the burden of really, REALLY trying not to butcher this picture.
Because what if she hates it? Will she tell me? Actually, she probably would.
But she didn't thankfully. She genuinely loved it. It was awesome.
I'm happy with it, which-from me, is high praise. The End.

Happy New Year!
My New Year's resolution is to stop being so goddamned sexy.
Peace, Love and Happiness in '07-
FrogDaddy

11 Comments:

At 12:06 AM, Blogger Johnny Supersonic said...

Nice job! How was she not going to like it? Would have looked to have seen you add the original photo to this post, also.

Have a Happy New One!
-Rob

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Thanks Rob! Same to you & Wendy!
I was a little skittish about posting the
original photo as I didn't ask her for
permission to do so. Trust me when I
say it looks pretty close to it!

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Excellent drawing, Glenn! You've really got a nice handle on those colored pencils..the boys face, in particular is really well handled..the whole drawing sort of has that 'Drew Struzan' movie poster feel to it.

Happy holidays and Happy New Year!!

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy with it too Frogdaddy, very charming piece.

I don't know how your gonna swing that resolution?!

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 2007, Yeaaaahhhh we made it!!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

whoa Justin- Drew was like the Ultimate 80's Blockbuster Movie Poster Go-To guy for us aspiring young artists in college-that's quite a compliment, Thanks- same to you & Nancy!
Hey RRRRRebekit! (I like rolling my R's when I say your name!) Thanks! I barely made it to New Year's Eve! I got completely inebriated at a Pre-New Year's Eve Eve Party Saturday at my Bro's flat in Crooklyn...I may hafta post the full story, cause it was quite a night! I'm still tasting it!

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

I love that feeling when I'm actually proud of something I've created. What's odd is that when I show that thing to people to whom I've shown other things, they don't find the thing I'm proud of to be any better than a lot of the other things.

Does that happen to you? If so, it should tell your inner critic STF Up! For a while, anyway.

Now enough resting on your Laurels (and Hardys, for that matter). Let's get something up, man!

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's it going frogdaddy?

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

will throw something up soon guys...
my next post will explain the last two weeks...

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Lou said...

hey my nukka!..please stay sexy! it's all we got to look forward to homey!

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Knew there had to be a reason why we haven't seen a post yet this year..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home