Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Think I'm In Love


"Take a little picture in a photobooth
Keep it in a locket and I think of you
Both of our pictures, face to face
Take off your necklace and throw it away

I think I'm in love
But it makes me kinda nervous to say so"- Beck

Wake it, Shake it, Mony Mony!
The latest KennaSketch-(What IS she looking at?)
I sat next to a freelancer at work for a couple of days.
We got to talking art and artists and had a lot of common
heroes. She told me she once took an intensive months-long
apprenticeship with this Master Artist.
She told me they'd draw for 12-13 hours a day.
For some reason, I followed this conversation by producing my sketchbook-
30 drawings of my soon to be seven (Whoa!) year old daughter.
I wanted to know what she thought of it.
She pretty much raked me over the coals.
"This looks labored...This is completely overworked....
This one doesn't feel alive to me....You're not really looking here..."
She pointed to a false-started prelim drawing that was literally four or five lines and says-
"THIS is alive! Now THIS is great design."
At first, I felt-"What a refreshingly honest opinion, for once!"
But lately, since that conversation-
I've felt pretty gun-shy about picking up the book
Here's hoping I'm not boring anyone else out there.

Ribbit!

P.S.- What a year for Music, right? Beck's- "The Information", Sean Lennon's- "Friendly Fire" Keane's- "Under The Iron Sea", Easy Star All-Star's- "Radiodread" ( A Reggae Version of Radiohead's "OK Computer? Hooray Beer!") The Raconteurs- "Broken Boy Soldiers"...just about anything involving DangerMouse....
My ears have never been happier!

3 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger Charles said...

i think that's a great story, GB. Many of us hate to be criticized artistically but usually it's to help us, not put us down. Take the critiques seriously and let it improve your awareness when you tackle your next sketch. Don't get gun shy, dude. That's not the way to take the conversation you had.

i like the expression on her face, bro'. Waiting for
the next piece.

-C!

 
At 12:16 AM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

thanks money-
I can handle criticism really-
just not too much of it-
ribbit!

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Hey Glen -

I hear ya on being put-off at first by her thoughts on your drawings...but you know deep down no matter what she/he anyone says you're gonna eventually pick up that pencil and start drawing again - because that's what you do. It's always good (I guess) to get a little bit of criticism, and like Charles said, it usually can help us, but ultimately the biggest improvements are going to come on your own...you'll notice some of the things that need to be corrected...I'm sure some of the stuff she said, you might have already thought yourself. I'm glad she at least had some positive things to say..all negativity isn't going to help anyone. But you know we dig your art..hey, we ALL can improve...I know I get down on my stuff alot..(usually when I see some other amazing art somewhere) but we just gotta perservere and keep drawing....because it's what we do. (though judging by my lack of posting lately, you might wonder about that from me)...btw, did you get to see HER drawings? She must be a master! ;)

PS Love the Raconteurs (did you see the video for Hands with the deaf girls school? Thought that was kinda moving)...I've got The Information, but still need to give it a good listen...Keane is probably my favorite new band of the last couple of years..their two discs are brilliant...and Sean's disc is great, too...btw, he's doing a 'secret' gig at The Living Room on Ludlow St. this coming Sunday (the 29th) at 10pm! I'm gonna trrrry and make it. He's at the Bowery Ballroom in November. Couple of other good new bands...The Feeling (in-store this Thu. at 1pm Virgin Union Square) and The 88!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home