Monday, September 18, 2006

Sass-A-Frass


I like to tell McKenna stories at bedtime. Not necessarily read books, but make em up on the fly, and just let both of our imaginations run wild. She'll add and edit as she sees fit, and that's perfectly fine by me.
For the past week, I've been creating this enchanted kingdom where she's trying to become a princess. (She's six! This what six year old girl's wanna be when they grow up. I wanted to be a fireman at six. Go figure.)
She can only become a princess by helping other princesses find their true love- and I have her spend each night in a different Disney Princess'
Kingdom where she helps Snow White or Cinderella, or the Little Mermaid, etc. find their Prince Charming and she gets closer to her Gold Tiara Princess Coronation.
Now we live in a Disney DVD household...so she's well-schooled on the
Happily-Ever-After...I can tell she's into it, and it's fun for me too, I'll admit.
Here's a quick aside before I continue...now that I see this art on a daily basis, Have you ever notice that these Princesses never interact with each other?
When you see them on clothes or on coloring books there's always this group shot -usually the Big Four- Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, & Snow White- they all look fabulous and are ALWAYS looking right at you....never acknowledging
that the one sitting next to them exists. Very much like a "Desperate Housewives" advertisement, or that VH-1 "Divas Live" where Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey shared the same stage. I don't know why, but this cracks me up to no end...
Back to the show- McKenna decides she wants to make up the story over the weekend.
I thought, "Why Not?" and let the little Spielberg have the reins...
She breaks out into this pretty fantastic crossover story that involves both Princess Jasmine from "Aladdin" and includes Tinkerbell from Pan's Neverland coming in for a last minute save.
She's obviously oblivious to the laws of Licensing, but it was still a pretty kickass tale.
But the capper is she included me and her mom in the story as well....we come riding in on Alladin's magic carpet and help her fight the palace guards, and I'm thinking-
"Wow! She put us in her fairy tale! In the Hero-Saves-the-Day role! How awesome is this?"
And then she drops the hammer.
"And after you get off the Magic Carpet, Daddy, the Carpet was like, 'Whew!', because
you're kinda a heavy guy, Daddy."..............

Cancel Christmas!

What a Sassy Frassy Lassie!

BlobDaddy

12 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

great stories and lovely pencil drawings as always, Glenn!

Terrific textures and build-up of form with the colors!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

And the hair is great! I think looking at this one again, it's one of my faves!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

!

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of my favourite drawings here, great storytime as well.

By the way, as a girl that works on this disney clothing, I am in shock at times, the girls look too sexy, and sometimes drawn ever so strangly, I can't even being to tell you the jokes we have.

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just looked at the drawing again as well... and yes indeed my fav thus far.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

wow thanks guys...I drew this on the plane ride back from Amsterdam and thought I skewed the drawing as I was cramped in my seat funny....
this little kid walked by and then went back and brought his two brothers and they just watched me draw for awhile without saying a word.
I looked up and said to them- "Whaddya think?"
and they all nodded and ran back to their seats.
I really tried hard on her hair, Justin..thanks for noticing...not normally one of my strengths....

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was up popa love your post...its very sweet that you read to your daughter at night....just remember\

"your to blessed to be stressed!!...)

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heeelllo cmon where is the new post?

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Awesome! Once when Jake was six or so, I had one of those short notice two week trips come up (like now) and told him about it and he said, "Yay!"

I asked him why and he said, "Oh, cuz I like it when it's just me an Mommy."

I hid it from him as best I could, but I was f-ing CRUSHED! I called my friend, an MFCC and even cried a little, "Mike, I'm trying so hard, man. And he still doesn't care if I'm around or not."

Mike started laughing and assured me that it will change when he's 10 or 12. And it did. He even takes my side in some meaningless family disagrements sometimes. So he's older, sure, but I've been his Dad for like 9 years now instead of two. So that probaly helped, too.

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beutiful stuff frogdaddy! i luv the fact that you make up these stories and then she takes it to different level. gets her imagination expanding! luv the drawing, keep it up. hey do you have a drawing of her from age one and up...think it would make a awesome collage.

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Charles said...

GO YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, Yeah-- nice art, GB!! Got to do some serious catching up myself!!!

-C!

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Lou said...

Nice sketches beyachito!! sorry I haven't posted in a while..been mad busy homie..besides i don't need to read your ramblings about David Wright..I couldn't help but laugh when you coined the name "Gayvid" Wright. LOL!! funny bastid...you like him huh?..well at least he ain't sunnin himself on some rocks in Centl. Pk..looking fabulously gay himself!!! LOLOL!! Anyway, GO METS!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home