Friday, June 16, 2006

Happy Father's Day

"Never raise your hand to your kids.
It leaves your groin unprotected."- Red Buttons

I've had six Father's Days now, and it has been awesome.
But, no matter how mad a day I have at work-
No matter how much I wonder-
"How am I gonna make ends meet?"
No matter how much my girl can test my patience-
Now matter how hard I think my life is or will be...
I stop and think-
Did you marry your girlfriend at the age of 20?
Have your first child at the age of 21?
Have your ELEVENTH child at the age of 45?
Have you ever worked two jobs and still found time for night classes at college?
Could you put those eleven children through Catholic Schools?
Could you raise them right?
Could you run the New York Marathon at the age of fifty?
Could you stay in love and married to the same woman for over 50 years?
(Um, actually- I'd better say "Yes!" to that one!)
What I'm trying to say Dad-
Is Thank You.
I Love You
Glenn

7 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger Charles said...

Damn, bro'-- that left me all misty-eyed!!!! Well, it really puts things in perspective and i'm glad you posted it!!! have a Happy Father's Day!!!

-C!

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sooo sweeet!

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

was up this is a very sweet blog. happy late fathers day my friend.

keep it posative :)

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

thanks guys! Hope you and Megan had a nice one too Chuck!
(Miss my KHCrew somethin awful!)

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

That was a nice tribute, Glenn. I too got misty eyed over it.

Have you ever heard your Dad in your head and speaking through your mouth? Like you were channeling him or something? Maybe I'm a little insane or something, but there are times when I swear that my Dad takes over my body and speaks to Jake -that's both in giving praise and discipline.

I try really hard to take what I think is the best of what my parents did for us while avoiding the things I think were the worst. For example, I couldn't have whatever toy I wanted, but Dad would buy me whatever book I wanted. They wouldn't let me see the movie when it came out, but I read Jaws in like 1st grade. Eventually, I was an English major, and I still read a lot today. And we had an Atari 800 computer which I spent hours "playing" with, but also programming. And I'm a computer geek today and that feeds my family.

What's striking to me is that JAke is at the age now where I still have fairly vivid memories. And it trips me out watching him struggle with the same issues that vexed me at that age.

Anyhoo, look at me ramblin' on. Nice post, and Happy Father's Day to you.

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, dude, that was beautiful. Hope your Papi's Day was as awesome as my first one was! Hope you're liking your new job...we miss you, man.
Jess

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful drawing!! love the expression on the character!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home