Thursday, April 20, 2006

"He Stole My Mojo!"

"I'm a junkyard, full of false starts-
and I don't need your permission."- Elliott Smith

True story.
I'm riding the train about a two weeks ago and drawing what I'm sure will be the first of many KennaSketches for da 'Ink when I notice just out of my right eye peripheral,
there's someone sketching me! I take a quickpeek to catch him in the act, and sure enough- he did the quicklookdown that all artists do when they get busted by their subject matter....
While I was kinda flattered, it sorta pissed me off, cause it took a lot of my focus off of what started out being a decent KennaSketch. It got in my head that I was posing for him instead of sketching for me and I ended up with something I wouldn't consider postworthy.
Since it's part of the story though, I'll post it....



Then something strange happened.
I had an 8 day run of incomplete, half-hearted, non-finished sketches none of which I felt like posting either, but I hadn't posted in a bit and Eric from MindBloggingTypos was starting a boycott in my comment box until I posted something new.
Here they are...under extreme duress, I might add...






Why couldn't I finish something? Why wasn't I liking any of it?
Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop Shoo Bop?
Was I getting burnt out?
Did Jesse throw some Domincan Voodoo at me for swiping his Van Halen post?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is going on around here?
Then it hit me like a ton of brickshithouses.
That fucker took my Mojo!
That rat bastard who was sketching me on the train somehow took my skills
that partially pay the bills! Whatta jagoff! How could he?
How am I gonna get 'em back?
How am I gonna get right again?
I feel like rocking back and forth like Nancy Kerrigan
after she got lowjacked in the kneecap, tears streaming down my face-
"WHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????????"

8 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Glenn -
You have nothing to fear...these are still some sweet sketches..I really like the last two drawings - especially the cartoony, surprised looking Kenna drawing.

It's always tough to put stuff up that you're not 100% about, I know!

Ya just gotta keep drawin'...

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Chrissie A said...

What a story! :O

The sketches are terrific, by the way...

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey you are back.

I actually prefer the sketches you label unfinished, because they look finished to me.

Great story, great work!

 
At 3:21 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Dumbo! The magic feather!

You need a magic feather and do some quill and ink sketches.

Just kidding.

All you gotta do is close your eyes, picture that guy, and sketch him sketching you from your mind's eye, man. Then post it and I promise, you will have your mojo back.

Shit, it would've been *mad* jedi to sketch him sketching you and then hand it to the incompetent hack on your way off the train man.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, these are cool...loving the cartoony Kenna sketches the most, don't know, maybe it's my background doing most of that. Great story...you should've sketched him back but really ugly and with tentacles, kinda like a Justin Leiter monster but uglier and nastier and handed it to him on the way out. "Hey dude, I saw you sketchin' me so I sketched you back, bitch. Hope you likes..." And then just smile and leave. Yeah, that would've rocked...but not more than Van Halen!!! YEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!
ARE WE READY FOR ANOTHER VH PROJECT?!?!??! IF YOU'RE READY LET ME HEAR YA SAY YEEEEEAAAHHH!!!!!
;P

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Justin: Thanks man! This draw drought has really made me appreciate how much craft you bring to your "Notes" page and on such a consistent basis!

Chrissie: Wow! I've been to your Chickpea sight and it continually blows me away, I'm so flattered, Thanks!

Becca: I'm glad you like the aborted stuff, but I'd take a finished Kenna Sketch any day..

Eric: You know I didn't even get a good glimpse of him...He kinda looked a bit like M. Night ShymalamaDingDong....but it was only a breif gander...

Jesse: Well, drawing him like that would definitely, be something out of an M.NIght movie, but I can't touch "The Keeper" for monsters...
aaahhhhh-
We'll always have Van Halen, Jess....

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

oh!
and to comment deleted:
Thank you for removing your post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home