Tuesday, March 14, 2006

"Shotgun Mikey"


"Come on home, girl" he said with a smile.
"You don't have to love me but let's get high awhile"
"But try to understand....try to understand....
Try, Try Try to understand....I'm a Magic Man." - Heart

Here a real muddied up version of Manchu- a wizard I doodled
on a bus ride home from Boston one weekend....It got shmudged
by my heavy handed lead from the opposite page...I coulda cleaned
it up in photoshop I guess, but fuggit, I'm lazy!
I'm sending a Happy Birthday Shout-Out to one of my oldest friends- Mikey Z!
He's officially 39 today, so he's still a year removed from his
"Harrison Ford Mid-Life Crisis Earring Kit:"! Ribbit!
Anyways, a quick Miguelito Zeta Jones story so the masses can see what a stand-up
guy he is: When I met Mike in college back in 1986, he was as fresh-faced as they came...
(think Steve Carell from the 40 year old virgin) I mean, the lad had never had a drink in his life!
We cleared that hurdle soon enough! A few years had passed and one summer I invited him to come to a summer camp I was working in New Jersey. There were a lot of people from England who worked at the camp gratis for the plane ticket stateside. These sassy English lifeguard babes were throwing a party in their cottage that evening, so we made the beer run into town. Somehow a dude in the car convinced Mikey and I to eat an entire Entenman's Pound Cake before the party.
"It'll absorb ALL the alcohol! You can drink ALL NIGHT LONG!" (all night.)
That night we taught Mikey Z how to shotgun a can o' beer.
(For those who haven't ever shotgunned- You punch a hole in the side of a can of beer. You place hole to your mouth. You open can. Beer flushes down throat like Tide-D-Bowl Man.)
He was a freakin natural.
The boy, to the encouragement of the entire room ,shotgunned an entire six pack! I had to take him aside and let him know that we hadn't quite tested the "Pound Cake" theory yet and maybe we should slow it down a bit,
but later on that evening, I saw him putting away a coupla more! I coulda sworn I saw him crush a can against his forehead after finishing one of them.
We all know how this story ends....
I finally find him a few hours later outside leaning against the cottage as if he was holding it up.
I gave him the courtesy- "You o.k. dude?"
Then his body just gave this horrible shudder/convulsion lurch and with a cry of
"WHHHOOOOOOARRRRGGGGUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
the entire contents of the night
shot out like a riot hose. He turns around to me, eyes wet, and says-
"Never again, dude.....never again.....
WHHHOOOOOOARRRRGGGGUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(Wonder how I'm gonna fit 39 candles on a pound cake?)

6 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Great story Glenn! Man, I woulda thought Mikey Z was a boozer from way back when he was just a youngun. Looks like you showed him the ropes!

Interesting sketches...but I wonder, what's goin' on with the wizard's fingers?? :)

JLL

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

he's actually holding an invisible salt shaker Justin...
he's sprinkling invisible salt, and conjuring a spell
at the same time.
i got nuthin'.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Aha! Just as I thought..I was gonna say that, but I didn't want anyone to think I was, um..yaknow...a wacko...

JLL

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great story. Nothing beats the memories of close good hearted friends.

I had such a nice time having a birthday lunch with you guys.

Happy B-day Mikey, I'll never think of pound cake the same!

-Rebecca

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Yeah Mikey-sorry I recommended the fish & chips...
i figured you couldn't go wrong in an Irish pub...
I thought we were gonna get a repeat performance!
"WHHHOOOOOOARRRRGGGGUUUUUUGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"
(man, i luv typing that!)

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Glenn!! I hope you're not pulling a Jesse here, dude! Are you having trouble posting?....and your page doesn't have any info down the right side!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home