Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Cutter


" I like to wait- to see how things turn out.....
When you apply some pressure." - Maximo Park

The above cartoon is only 50% accurate.
The following story is about 88% percent true.
Yesterday, I stopped by my regular deli for my morning bagel and bottle of tea- pretty
much a routine for me before going to work. This deli is always packed with commute-dazed
New Yorkers and it's completely claustrophobic. You're either pushing or getting pushed.
I'm waiting in line with about 4 people behind me when this guy walks right up to the register.
Bypassing all of us and seemingly oblivious to common deli line etiquette.
I'm not a violent man.
I've mentioned previously that I dislike confrontation.
So what compelled me to walk up to this guy (6'1, 250 lbs, early 40's by my guessitmates) and tap him on the shoulder repeatedly until he turned around?
I HATE being cut in line. It's a damn social injustice that should never be tolerated.
"Dude- there's a line."
"So?"
"SO?" (.....Slow Burn)
"So you're a dick, dude."
"Fuck you, jerkoff."
Now, I've heard a comedian named Dane Cook mention that once an
altercation enters the "Fuck You" stage, there's nothing you can say
to beat that. And it's true...it's just a matter of volume after that.
"FUCK ME?" and at this point I take a step towards him...
"Fuck YOU man!"
and at that point he was completely done with his transaction and
the guys behind the counter were hollering at both of us and I realized
that the whole place dropped a few decibels....then I kinda checked myself
and realized the situation wasn't worth all the fuss and turned my back on
the jackass and paid for my breakfast.
And lived to draw another day.
Anyways, The above sketch is my therapeutic graphic handling of the scene with
FrogDaddy dispensing his virtual justice.
I'm not a violent man.
I just play one in cartoons.
Ribbit!

FrogDaddy

8 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Great story...great comic..When I first looked at the panels I thought the cutter was you, cuttin' the guys face! So it's got a double meaning! Your character reminded me of Eric Powells' Goon! Cool stuff!

JLL

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

Where's those neighborhood boys when you need 'em?

I'm glad you didn't go off. Even if it was justified, it's still assault. Think of Kenna and walk away.

I'm glad you did the drawing to get that negative energy out of you, man. That just eats you up inside and probably leads to colon cancer. At least you don't have to drive in traffic much, though. It's the worst. I got a little Buddha on my keychain to help keep me mellow. Only thing is, when I'm driving, it hangs down below the dash so I always forget.

Incidentally, it's fixin' to snow here at the Hotel Yorba. It's that slow cold rain right now and it's just about to turn. I just heard on the scanner that it's snowing on 29 about a mile up the road towards Clearlake. It should hit here any minute. I know that's not exciting to you, but it's pretty cool to me. A nice contrast to that triple digit week we had building Glenndale Beach and all, you know?

Anyway - I like the comic too. American Splendorish, a bit. I love how you and all of your friends can draw in so many different ways and still maintain your individuality.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Lou said...

You are a true gentleman because I probably would've bashed that fuckas head in....but then again...probably not...a few years ago hell yeah!! but any way really dig the storytelling on the panels!

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gots to tell you this storyboard is freakin awesome! and I mean awesome! You should get into deli brawls more often, they bring a nice intensity to your work, not to mention an entertaining blog story

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Hey Justin- Just googled Eric Powell's work...
pretty amazing stuff- I'm flattered! Love the noir
feel he's got with the shadows...
Eric! Blogging from his sickbed! I've been feeling
for ya on your blog, bro! Get well soon,mate!
If me and my fellow artists ever actually teamed up we'd be like the Avengers!
Hey Lou- the sequel to this story is I got to work
that morning so hot from it I actually punched a wall
in retelling it the story to my designer. (and have the knuckle scrapes to prove it)-
our friend Drew gave me some sage advice....
"Don't fight the wall- the wall always wins."
Ribbit

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

Hey Yoda, I mean FS! Does hate lead to breaking a bottle of Arizona Iced Tea across someone's neck?
If I didn't rip this sketch out, I'd be looking for that guy
and I don't wanna get banned from my favorite deli!
I gotta remember that line...i think i gave him a "go fuck yourself" as he was walking out the door, but even the counter guys knew I was faking it at that point.
Thanks Bex! I tried to express anger through urgency-
anatomical correctness and perspective be damned!
Maybe I should illustrate my more frustrating NY moments in the future.....hmmmm.......
F-daddy

 
At 11:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that would bring ur blog to the next level, illustrating ur most frustrating NY moments, this blog is always a pleasure to visit!

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

Panel 3 is The Goon!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home