Sunday, January 29, 2006

Parent Perks


"I can't pretend
I need to defend
some part of me from you.
I know I've spent some time a-lying"- Interpol "The New"
Sundays are easy. Sundays to relax.
we have a family field trip planned to the Museum of Modern Art
in New York City today. there's a Pixar Animation Exhibit that runs through
the end of the month and I'm loving it. sometimes a family outing means
seeing something you want nothing to do with, but because nickelodeon
plays commercials for these movies ad nauseum, you find yourself
sitting through crap like "Because of Winn Dixie", but not today!
today is a day we can both agree on....i call Pixar a "Parent Perk"
cause you can take your kid to their productions and dig it as much as they
do...watch the same dvd 50 times and still discover something new....they
do it better than anyone in the game right now, hands down....
now I'm not a big believer in symbolism, but while my wife was packing
her purse with kid-friendly fare for our trip in I open our back door and gasp....
I run back into the house and call the girls out grabbing the digital and quickly snap this image:

now this picture does no justice to the frog's eye view, cause these black birds were
EVERYWHERE! hundreds in each tree-lined yard on my block stretching four houses down!
the sudden crack of my back door sent a few dozens to take wing in my own back yard and there
I was, in the middle of this murder of mini-crows- like the wicked witch dispensing some
flying monkey justice on Dorothy's ass.....hollywood couldn't cgi an image like this;
it was like having sex with Hitchcock while Tim Burton's going down on you...
it was all over in minutes with the rest of the flock flown for newer lawns.
what an absolutely surreal moment! it was made for the MoMA!
Be back this week with more sketches and inspirato....
Ribbit!
Frogdaddy

6 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god this is completely unreal.

I watched "The Birds" as a young child.
It scorned me for life.

This is an awesome picture shot!

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I love this shot! It so reminded me of The Birds too...in fact, that movie scared the fucking crap outta me when I first saw it! Geez!!! I wonder what they were all doin' on your backyard? A better photo would've been of you in the middle of all that brouhaha, taken by your wife...now that I'd pay money to see! I'm glad you enjoyed the Pixar exhibit...gonna see it sometime this week. Laters!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

i guess some things aren't meant to be caught on film.....wish i had the wherewithall to set the
camera on movie and I coulda shot them all flying away....shit was most chilling!
to bex...i think you mean "scarred" (i'm not even sure if I spelled that right!) if "The Birds" scorned
you for life, you probably wouldn't lend them money if they asked you, and you'd be out and out rude to them.;)
Ribbit!

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Eric Soderstrom said...

No Beatles songs came to mind?

Nature pictures are tough without a decent lens. I've got a great silent zoom for my old school SLR, but I hardly ever break that out any more. And I need a few big projects before I can get a Canon digital that will take my lenses. We have these wild peacocks in the neighborhood. I can't get close enough to them to get a decent shot. I see them on my lawn, they see me, the male opens up the feathers, I run for the camera, and by the time I get back, they are across the street. If I zoom, they come out blurry. It's really frustrating, so I've been trying to just enjoy them in the moment.

I just hope I can get my camera before a coyote (or a soccer Mom in a Humvee) gets the peacocks.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home