Tuesday, January 31, 2006

And Now, What You All Came For....Hardcore Nudity!




"And I'm just so bored of wasting my time
Love and Death always on my mind." - The Stills

the other day at my trip to the MoMA, i picked up a book on the
austrian artist egon schiele (1890-1918) one of my personal faves...
an artist who painted some of the most vivid sexual imagery of the
male and female form in his day...he invented the "heroin chic" look 90 years
ahead of everyone. his models all emaciated & angular; beautiful linework-
this book blew my mind with these things i've never considered:
1) sigmund freud whose new theories on sexuality and mortality were born
at the same time- in the same city as schiele and
2) schiele did this work during the height of what a lot of artists consider
illustrations' finest hour, the art nouveau period-
when every thing was soft and beautiful....
it would've been like being in a band like the velvet underground
when all that was popular on the radio at the time was bands that
sounded like the beatles.....anyway- the bottom line is, i'm gonna
soak this book up and see if it influences my work....
and google this guy's work if you're unfamiliar with him...
i'll dedicate these posts to the process junkie....
who never met a nude woman he didn't like.....
ribbit!
frogdaddy

10 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, life drawing...
Dude, we should start a monthly life drawing class somewhere...or...just go to an empty office space at KH and just have someone pose awkwardly and naked (or clothed, doesn't matter) for us to enjoy and draw. Man, I haven't done this in a while. I wouldn't even know how to begin...are these recent? These are awesome, Frogger. You know, I met Egon once and he was just an egotistical, pompous ass! What--? Oh, he died in the early 1900's?
Never mind!!! ;p

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

these sketches may be about ten years old now...i'd gladly take a life drawing class locally (F.I.T. perhaps?)
maybe i'll look into it as it can only provide more blog material for us!
you would've gotten along swimmingly with schiele jesse, he liked young girls too... (Cue Depeche Mode's "Little 15")
ribbit!

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...Glenn.


Beautiful Work
Awesome Sensitivity !

Keep em coming boy, love visiting this blog!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger The Keeper's Notes said...

well lookit chu! Updating regularly (I've been sick, so I've got an excuse..)...and wit great stuff!

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger Process Junkie said...

Beautiful stuff!

You can go to the Art Student's League on 57th Street.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

"awesome sensitivity" whatta great compliment...
thanks! hey get well soon justin, you were just starting to hit your stride, i think....i don't know if I'm ready for the league, professor...I'm about to admit my most shameful secret....I CAN'T DRAW FEET! oh it's true!
i feel so dirty! i'm like Kathy Bates in "Misery"
clubbing the feet off everyone I draw!
i'm changing my username to ClubDaddy!
Ribbit!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Process Junkie said...

Feet are very easy to draw, just copy 5 sets of feet (5 different positions from an artist who's good at drawing feet: full top-front, top-3/4, top-side and sole, back views, draw these 5 positions 50 times each and use those same 5 poses in your drawings, regardless of the pose . just as long as you don't use the back pose for a frontal image :P.

Sorry this technique doesn't apply to hands, but then again you're pretty good at drawing hands.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Glenn Byrne said...

thanks junkieman!
now there's a process worth trying....
hey- there's never any way to comment on your scribblettes posts but let me tell you,
they make my day...that's fucking
knee-buckling gorgeous work you're doing there
mate....when is the gallery exhibit?
i'd pay good money to see them on a wall
somewhere....
f-diddy

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home